Provided an interpretive training course for this, and near-by other Parks Canada staff, at the Bar U Ranch National Historic Site.
The Bar U Ranch, located near Longview, Alberta, is a preserved ranch that for 70 years was one of the leading ranching operations in Canada. At its peak, the ranch extended over 160,000 acres (65,000 ha) with 30,000 cattle and 1000 Percheron horses. Two owners were instrumental in the establishment of the Calgary Stampede, forming part of the Big Four. From 1927 to 1950 the Bar U was part of a group of ranches operated by Patrick Burns. Burns grew grains on the ranch, which remained one of the largest ranches in Canada during the period.
After 1950 much of the ranch land was sold. The present National Historic Site is the central remnant, owned by Parks Canada, which bought the property in 1991 and opened it to the public in 1995. For more information about the Bar U Ranch you can visit their web site at: www.pc.gc.ca